Friday, January 11, 2008

Ethan's first (and hopefully last) trip to the E.R.

So...........first off, our camera is not working so there will be no pictures accompanying this blog entry! Maybe this will force me to write more instead of letting the picture speak for me. Anyway, hopefully we will be getting a new camera soon and I will be back in the game! So a couple days ago I was having a great mom moment and built an amazing fort for Ethan! He loved it, it was huge and tall and didn't break easily. Everything he always wants in a fort was there. Well, it was so cool that when he was standing on our recliner chair (one of the walls of the fort) looking down on the roof of the fort (a couch cushion balancing on the recliner and the couch) it looked like a fabulous slide to him. Warning! This is where bad mom moment begins. I was talking on the phone and didn't notice him looking at the "slide" and plotting his next move until it was too late. He flipped himself off of the back of the recliner landing himself on his arm on the carpet below. I'm just glad it was on our new cushy carpet downstairs and not the nasty concrete like carpet upstairs. Anyway.......he cried really hard immediately and after an hour of cuddling me, having chocolate milk, and rubbing my arm (his comfort routine) he was still upset! He was also holding his arm with his other arm and didn't seem to be able to get comfortable! It was so sad! Although there was virtually no swelling I knew he must have broken it! He is usually a pretty tough kid! So we headed of to instacare. They did X-rays and said we needed to go out to Primary Children's Hospital to have a specialist look at it because it was very close to his growth plate and may need to have surgery to place a pin in it. Yuck! So we headed out to Primary's and Ethan thankfully fell asleep! He slept for over 3 hours of the drive out there and the wait in the ER. He even slept through all the assessments done by the hospital staff. He only woke up because they had to redo the X-ray and they moved his arm it a way that hurt him. Well the X-ray gave us good news! No surgery, just a cast! Yeah! We were so excited! So after about 7 hours of fun we were able to go home just after midnight! Ethan is now doing great. He constantly needs to be reminded to settle down so that he doesn't break his other arm! Fun for us! Thanks for all the calls and gifts! If your kid ever complains of too long of a break between Christmas and their Birthday just encourage them to break a bone!

15 comments:

Heather Jones said...

That is so sad I am glad he did not need surgery .So does he love his cast or hate it?

ishybeanie said...

i am so sorry little e, that is no fun at all. i hope you get your present soon.

Miles and Bex said...

That is so sad! Poor little E. I am glad he didn't need surgery. I still can not believe that Brayden doesn't have a broken bone yet. I guess I don't build awesome forts. Crazy about that fire in the neighborhood.

Miles and Bex said...

Okay, I am sorry! I really didn't mean to block you. i did actually send you an email but it was Jeff's email address. it was the only one I had. So now you are on the list. Thanks for letting me know. I still want you to be my friend :)

Joey and Nettifer said...

GOsh darn it! Amy I am so sorry for you! That is to bad for Ethan. Tought little kid and thank goodness he was sleeping for most of the time.

Guinevere said...

I'm so glad E is feeling better! ER trips are NO fun. We'll vote for last ER visit too....have a happy day!!

Weston said...

Poor little ET man...Although seeing him the day after he seemed to have forgotten the whole event. I think he just likes being like his cousin Kali so much that he wanted to copy that too!

Get all fixed soon ET!

Anonymous said...

Amy,do you want to use my camera for a while? I hate to think of all the cute things you might miss. Maybe I should just call you!:)

Staci said...

oh so sad. my brother broke his arm when he was eleven months old. it was very sad. hope he's doing better. casts are never fun. i had one when i was eight.

The Cary Family said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry! I didn't know! I'm so glad he didn't have to have surgery! At least it's not summer, if you're going to break your arm, winter is the time to do it!!

Tyney Family said...

Oh how sad! Kids will always have their accidents and no matter what the outcome you are a GREAT Mom! At least this is your first ER trip. I have been three times with B and twice with S.

Kristi said...

Amy, I found your blog from someone and had to look. Cute kids, and I am sorry about Ethan, poor guy! I think I would freak over a broken bone. That is just more incentive for me to not build forts!!

The Nortons said...

Ethan, we hope that you get better quick! I told Cole about what happened and he was just excited that you like forts as much as he does. He is already planning the fort that he wants to build with you when you get better :)

Veronica said...

Hope he got a fun funky color! Poor little guy :(

Anonymous said...

Poor E!! Love your BLUE cast.