Friday, February 13, 2009

IVF update


All my medications arrived! Look how many nasty medications I will be pumping into my body over the next several weeks. The big red sharps container is usually full by the end of the IVF cycle! I have been doing 3 shots in my belly every night since monday the 9th. One of the shots leaves a welt each time which makes me feel like I was kicked. It's way fun! This will continue until our ultrasound on monday the 16th. On this date they will probably have me continue the three shots until friday the 20th which is the projected date for my egg retrieval. I have mixed feelings about the egg retrieval. The first one that I had, that resulted in Ethan, was horrible. I wasn't given enough drugs and ended up being basically paralyzed and able to feel most of the procedure. If anybody is wondering how they retrieve your eggs it goes like this. They insert a long needle into me and puncture each follicle in both ovaries and drain all of the fluid to obtain as many eggs as possible. I usually have between 13-17 follicles on each side that are drained. This results in a very sore abdomen as you can imagine! It was not pleasant to feel each puncture the first time. The second egg retrieval, resulting in Mylie, was very nerve racking. Knowing that you are going in and possibly being paralyzed again to endure a painful procedure is not fun. I requested more medication this time and they obliged! It was wonderful! I spoke with my friend Amy on this topic (who has also had the pleasure of doing IVF) and agreed that the drugs are heavenly! I have already requested the same amount of medication be given to me this time! Oh happy day! Now some of you may be feeling sorry for us as you think to yourself, wow when I decide to get pregnant it is usually somewhat of a pleasurable experience. Well let us just fast forward a few years when our children are asking us how babies are made and where they came from. Your conversation will be awkward and embarrasing while ours will be easy as we tell them about the friendly doctors at the U that take a part of mommy and a part of daddy and make a baby to stick in my tummy. Ha ha! Just something we joke about to make our situation less annoying!

11 comments:

Amy said...

Good luck over the next couple of weeks! I hope it all goes well and I hope the drugs are everything we remember them being!!! (and I totally forgot they didn't work the first time)

I am serious about dinner. You better call me!

ishybeanie said...

good luck, you are the best. and so you don't miss out on the birds and the bees talk i will let you tell my kids. what are sisters for anyway.

Jylaire said...

You are hilarious! Good luck in the next couple of weeks! Let me know what I can do to help!

Weston said...

TMI - TMI :-)

Your kids will find out about the birds and bees at school anyway - isn't that how we all found out? :-)

The Nortons said...

Wow Amy, I can't believe all that you go through. Good luck, looks like a blast... Please let me know if you need any help. I am sure my kids would love any playdates :)

Joey and Nettifer said...

I am with Kim. i will send mt two over to your house and you can tell them your story!

sorry you have to give yourself shots - i know you hate that kind of stuff

Heather Jones said...

Wow, I enjoyed reading all of that very interesting. You are one brave person I don't think I could do that I hate needles so bad. I hope it all goes well and you get another cute baby!!!

Clark's said...

I'm sorry to hear about all of this. I know it's not fun, but in the end, It's worth it! I had my fair share of issues after I delivered Macie, but as hard as it was on our family. I'd do it all again now that I've seen the result of how happy a little one can make your life.I know you know that already though, but sometimes you need to hear it again. We wish you the best of luck with everything, hang in there.

Julianna said...

You are amazing! I have a friend who is going through this for the first time...I shared your blog with her. She's a few weeks behind what you are going through.

Draper's said...

AHHHH! Whenever you talk about the shots I just cringe. Looking at all of that medicine, WOW you are seriously so tough!!

Mandi said...

Amy!!!!!!!! I wish you all the best with yet another amazing journey. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Just remember "he" knows what is best and what we can and can not do. You are SO amazing and a wonderful mom. I wish you all the best of luck. Be strong! It is so worth it. HUGS!